Now a days Google Play continues to grow rapidly. Thus, developers move to update their apps very often to push great new content, patch security vulnerabilities, and iterate quickly on user feedback and suggestions. However, many users are sensitive to the amount of data they use, especially if they are not on Wi-Fi.
Google truly cares about you and doesn’t need you to pay unnecessarily high data charges when you update your most loved applications. So it has also updated the Play Store descriptions to incorporate the genuine download size of the apps rather than the size of their APKs.
Google has rolled out a few improvements to reduce usage of data that needs to be transferred for app installs and updates, making data cost more transparent to users.
The new ‘delta’ algorithm, bsdiff being used to reduce the size of app updates has been claimed to save around 50 per cent data compared to the previous method. In addition, the algorithm will also allow users to see the amount of data it will take to download.
- Lost your Phone? You Can Still Retrieve its IMEI Number
- 18 Useful Smartphones Tips, Tricks and Hacks That You Should Know!
- IPhone Tricks And Hacks Even Apple Doesn’t Want You To Know !!!
Bsdiff – is an open-source utility for generating diffs of binary files which can be distributed as patches or updates without having to send the entire set of binary data each time the package is updated.
To explain it further,the company used Chrome updates as an example, highlighting that a major update (M46 to M47) went from 22.8MB to 12.9MB and a minor (M47 Minor Update) one shrunk from 15.3MB to 3.6MB.
Apps that don’t have uncompressed native libraries can see a 5% decrease in size on average, compared to the previous delta algorithm.
Users can now see actual download sizes in the Play Store. If you already have an app, you will only see the update size.
- 11 WhatsApp Tips And Tricks That You Should Know
- WhatsApp Just Got A New Font; Find Out How To Use It
- WhatsApp Will Stop Working on Many Phones end of 2016; which one do you have?
- Smartphone Batteries Drain In TRAVELLING!! Know-how and learn the tips to Preserve it